7/28/2009

RIP CPU

I had a difficult conversation yesterday. It went something like this:

I know this isn't something we want to think about, but you're getting up there in years. It takes longer and longer for you to get started in the mornings. Your memory is starting to go. Certain parts just don't run like they used to. We've had a lot of good times together. It's not that I WANT you to go, but these things happen. Anyway, here's a list of things I'd like to keep after you're gone.

Luckily, this wasn't with an actual person, but with my computer. We've had it for almost 7 years now, which is like 112 in people years. Soon after aquiring it we also got a digital camera, so we have 6 years of pictures on it, not to mention music. We have a lot of things I would hate to lose.

But, sadly, I think our computer is nearing it's end. The cd burner hasn't worked since, well, 2 moves ago. (Yes, I track time by when we moved last) I can no longer download attachments. I worry every time I empty my camera that this batch of pictures will be the one to send it over the edge. And yet, I really don't want to buy another computer. They are expensive, and I don't really know enough about them to know what I need. Software I can handle, it's the hardware that throws me off.

And please don't tell me I need to buy a Mac and all my problems will be solved. I view a Mac kind of like a drag queen: Flashy & maybe even sleek, but I'm not comfortable with one in the spare bedroom. I just wouldn't know what to do with it!

Anyway, I recently bought an external hard drive to back up my computer with. It's a stop-gap measure, sure. I know that eventually, the computer will fail and I'll have to get another one. I guess I view the backup kind of like a last will & testament for a computer. "Here's what I accomplished in my lifetime. Here's what I think you should keep, to remember me by."

Maybe I should work on my own "backup" one of these days. In the mean time, I'm just trying to enjoy the time I have left with my old desktop.

1 comment:

Stan & Ash said...

yeahh!! you have a blog!! i'll be honest i haven't read it yet cause i'm in a hurry but i'm still glad you guys have one!